[rabbitmq-discuss] Pre-defining queue for federated exchanges?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Wed Apr 18 09:14:26 BST 2012

James,

On 17/04/12 22:32, James Carr wrote:
> One of the things keeping me up at night lately is a worry that our
> federation links will break, the broker will lose its queues someway and
> we'll wind up with messages being published that just get dropped.

Just to be clear, you are worried that the queues created by federation
at the upstream will somehow disappear?

That would be a bug and as such is just as likely to happen as any other
fault.

> Is there a way we could define some kind of queue that is setup by
> default? The only other thing I could think is to just define
> alternate-exchanges for every exchange, slap a queue on it and set a
> consumer on it that simply republishes when federated links are
> established.

Looks like you are re-inventing what the federation logic already
provides, i.e. a means to buffer messages while the link is down.

Regards,

Matthias.