[rabbitmq-discuss] Cannot send message with STOMP

Tony Garnock-Jones tonygarnockjones+rabbitmq at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 12:02:13 BST 2012

On 17 April 2012 01:34, Lionel Cons <lionel.cons at cern.ch> wrote:

> IMHO, the BNF definition is correct: it accurately defines what you
> can see on the wire and this is sufficient to extract frames. It does
> not however define how to interpret what you extract from the wire,
> like backslash escaping and UTF-8 encoding, which are defined elsewhere
> in the STOMP 1.1 specification.

Fair enough. Perhaps "incorrect" was a bit strong, but it could definitely
have helped this casual reader avoid the dangerous misinterpretation I
ended up making by reading the BNF alone. I believe it could profitably
also describe the backslash-escaping. (After all, it would also be correct,
in some sense, for it to specify the headers block as "a sequence of bytes
not including two newlines in a row, followed by two newlines", leaving it
up the the rest of the text to describe how to extract the key-value pairs
from that structure! ;-) )

Here's the kind of thing I was expecting:

header              = header-name ":" header-value
header-name         = 1*header-text-atom
header-value        = *header-text-atom
header-text-atom    = "\n" | "\c" | "\\" | <any OCTET except LF or ":" or "\">

I should have been paying more attention during the 1.1 development process.

Regards,
  Tony