[rabbitmq-discuss] Cannot send message with STOMP

Tony Garnock-Jones tonygarnockjones+rabbitmq at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 17:36:28 BST 2012

On 16 April 2012 11:18, Lionel Cons <Lionel.Cons at cern.ch> wrote:

> Since RabbitMQ does not report any error back to the client and does not
> record anything in its logs either, it’s hard to find out what really
> happens. IMHO, if RabbitMQ thinks something is wrong, it should clearly say
> so.

Makes sense to me!

> Back to my test, the protocol used is STOMP 1.0 (RabbitMQ correctly
> reports it in its CONNECTED frame). There is no escaping defined in STOMP
> 1.0 so RabbitMQ should IMHO not perform any (de)escaping.

Agreed. I've just gone and checked the 1.1 spec again to see if it did
specify the escaping somewhere after all, and lo and behold, it does! Which
means I was wrong in my previous message: RabbitMQ is doing exactly the
right thing for 1.1 frames. Just not for 1.0 frames, is all, as you note.

(The STOMP spec helpfully includes a formal BNF definition... which is
incorrect. The BNF definition omits the specification of the escaping
process. Sigh.)

> ** **
>
> If escaping is indeed the source of the problem, could one please consider:
> ****
>
> **-          **Logging errors coming from incorrect escaping****
>
> -          Not performing STOMP 1.1 (de)escaping on STOMP 1.0 connections

Both these suggestions sound good to me. At this point, we will need to
hear from the Rabbit team (specifically, Steve, I imagine?) on how they
feel like proceeding.

Regards,
  Tony

--