[rabbitmq-discuss] Having trouble getting rabbitmq-server to read rabbitmq-env.conf settings to change database location.

Gautam gautam.bakshi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 06:02:03 BST 2012

I'm having problems changing the default location for a rabbitmq instance.
I'm following the install steps from the website. Here's my install script:

#install rabbitmq
su -c 'rpm -Uvh http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/6/i386/epel-release-6-5.noarch.rpm'
yum -y install erlang
rpm --import http://www.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-signing-key-public.asc
yum -y install rabbitmq-server-2.8.1-1.noarch.rpm
rabbitmq-plugins enable rabbitmq_management

It starts fine but as I use the queue my main OS harddrive fills up. I am
using EC2 so the main harddrive is pretty limited but I have 800G on
another drive thats mounted so I made a folder
there(/ephemeral0/rabbitmq/). On the website, I believe it says I need to
create a config file(to change the location of the envirmoent variable that
controls the location of the database) in this location
/etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-env.conf

I create it with the following data: BASE=/ephemeral0/rabbitmq/ and restart
rabbitmq-server but as I use the new queue my OS drive continues to fill up
and nothing is created on the location I actually want the data to be
stored.

To test this further, I stopped rabbitmq(via service rabbitmq-server stop)
and ran rabbitmq-serverand in its start up screen I noticed: config file(s)
: (none) I wasn't sure if this was related to config file itself or the
rabbitmq-env.conf file so I decided to add CONFIG_FILE=/etc/rabbitmq/ and
re ran rabbitmq-server but still no luck(same message).

What can I do to change the location? I'm using the latest version of
rabbitmq and centos 6.2.

Please help.