[rabbitmq-discuss] Generating a Rabbitmq release

Alvaro Videla videlalvaro at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 17:14:52 BST 2012

Hi,

On Friday, April 13, 2012 at 5:59 PM, Matthew Sackman wrote:

> I can definitely see how it would help, and that it would solve this
> problem. However, it may introduce other problems. For example, if we
> have a package with an erlang distribution in it, what happens if it's
> used on a system which already has a system-wide erlang distribution? If
> we produce such an .pkg, and so does ejabberd, and so does riak, and a
> dev wants to use all three on the same machine, at the same time, how do
> they go about doing that? What happens if each of those packages ships a
> different version of Erlang? Do you try and get the different nodes to
> talk to each other etc etc?

I think the idea of such package is mostly to ease adoption. If you want to make internode communication between Riak, Ejabberd and RabbitMQ then you probably know how to get your Erlang up and running.

BTW, creating this .tar is something supported by OTP, it's not a hack. So I guess someone is using that in production already. The guys behind erlware created this tool to work with releases: https://github.com/erlware/sinan/wiki so I guess they probably use that. Also rebar supports generating releases, I guess that's what Riak does with their distros.

Also I don't think these releases conflict with each other. The only problem I can see is what happens with the epmd instance they will start. AFAIK Ejabberd kills it if no other Erlang process is running once the server exits.

Alvaro