[rabbitmq-discuss] Generating a Rabbitmq release

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Fri Apr 13 12:50:36 BST 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 12:41:05PM +0100, Matthew Sackman wrote:
> I agree the packaging issue is a problem, and there has been a lot done
> to improve this. I do genuinely think that right now, the cloud foundary
> approach may be a viable alternative if getting going quickly is the
> key.

To be really clear, what I really object to is the reinvention of wheel
regarding packaging. There are really good solutions out there - vastly
better than what things like apt/deb offer, which should be very widely
used but are not. The ongoing mess of homebrew/macports is horrible -
and seems never to get better; the number of issues we see with rpm
based systems is also horrific. Even debian based systems are
essentially useless as unless you're root you can't install packages.
There are systems out there, eg Nix / NixOS that allow any user to
install anything and to do it in such a way that it has zero impact on
other users. They've never caught on, and I find the current mess of
packaging "solutions" hightly frustrating.

Matthew