[rabbitmq-discuss] Generating a Rabbitmq release

Alvaro Videla videlalvaro at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 12:11:12 BST 2012

Hi Emile,

I know you can do that. What I want to do is to distribute the Erlang VM,
as mentioned in my first email when I said: "What I want to achieve is to
be able to generate a tar file with Erlang's erts and other dependencies as
explained here
http://www.erlang.org/doc/design_principles/release_structure.html#id75658".

What I'm thinking here is about usability. Some weeks ago I taught RabbitMQ
at an University and many students were complaining about the long
compiling times Erlang has. Also "what's the right Erlang distro for
Rabbit". Or "the Erlang distro for my ubuntu is too old". And so on.

Also if you monitor the #rabbitmq hashtag on twitter from time to time you
may find users complaining about "rabbitmq is hard to install" when the
actual problem is that they can't get Erlang running in the first place.

So I think producing a self container tar ball could be very helpful. As
RabbitMQ you can even choose against which Erlang version you want to
compile your code, which I think is another advantage.

Do you see where I want to go with this approach?

Regards,

Alvaro