[rabbitmq-discuss] Unable to use different .erlang.cookie file

object vagif.abilov at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:09:19 BST 2012

Hello,

I am trying to set up a RabbitMQ cluster on Windows servers, and this
requires using shared Erlang cookie file. According to the
documentation, all I need to do is to ensure that the root <user>
directories on different machines contain the same .erlang.cookie
file. So what I did is found these files on both machines and
overwrote them with the same shared version.

After that all rabbitmqctl commands failed on the machine with new
file version with "unable to connect to node..." error message. I
tried to restart RabbitMQ Windows service, but still rabbitmqctl
complained. I even reinstalled RabbitMQ on that machine, but
then .erlang.cookie was reset back to the old version. Whenever I
tried to use new version of cookie file, rabbitmqctl failed. When I
restored an old version, it worked fine.

Basically I am stuck and can not proceed with cluster setup until I
resolve this issue. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Vagif