[rabbitmq-discuss] Cleaning up after a rabbitmq-server install

Matt Pietrek mpietrek at skytap.com
Fri Apr 6 17:51:04 BST 2012

In our environment (Ubuntu 10.04, RabbitMQ 2.81),  we use automation
to install rabbitmq-server on our target nodes.

Now, for a run-of-the-mill installation of some service ("apt-get
install <program-name>" ), I wouldn't expect anything to be left
running after the install completes. That is, installing a program
shouldn't just automatically leave the program running after
installing it, as well as other running bits and pieces.

However, when installing RabbitMQ server on say 10 nodes, we end up
with various instances of the following programs left behind on the
nodes, all running in the rabbitmq user account:

/usr/lib/erlang/erts-5.7.4/bin/epmd -daemon
inet_gethost 4
/usr/lib/erlang/erts-5.7.4/bin/beam -W w -K true -A30 -P 1048576 --
-root /usr/lib/erlang -progname erl -- -home /var/lib/rabbitmq --
-noshell -noinput -sname rabbit at lb2-cm... <rest of line omitted>