[rabbitmq-discuss] Sometimes error {inet_error, etimedout} is happened

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Tue Sep 27 13:38:39 BST 2011

Hi Cheremukhin,

On 27/09/11 08:27, Cheremukhin Andrey wrote:
> Hi to all.
>
> Sometimes, i see errors in rabbitmq.log "{inet_error, etimedout}" and
> after this rabbitmq-server close this connection.

We've seen this error in the presence of firewalls and load balancers.
There may be a device on your network that interferes with the network
traffic.

> But in code of rabbitmq-server, i've not found that option of socket
> *send_timeout* is reset. It's means that gen_tcp:send have to try to
> send data infinity.

The possibility of setting a timeout does exist, e.g.
rabbit_net:async_recv/3

> Why is the error "{inet_error, etimedout}" happened?

For more information about socket timeouts see the error section of the
"tcp" man page or http://www.sockets.com/err_lst1.htm#WSAETIMEDOUT

-Emile