[rabbitmq-discuss] defining role type in a cluster

Alexandru Scvorţov alexandru at rabbitmq.com
Tue Sep 27 13:07:43 BST 2011

Hi Kyle,

> Does anyone know if it's possible to define whether a node in a cluster is a disc or ram node via the rabbitmq.config file?  I am trying to ensure that if a node leaves the cluster for some reason it comes back as the appropriate node type.

You can auto-configure the cluster by setting cluster_nodes in
rabbitmq.config:
  http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html#auto-config

As with manual plugin configuration, the node type is implicit: if the
current node is in the cluster node list, it will be disc; otherwise,
it will be ram.

So, if the 'rabbit at rabbit1' clusters with ['rabbit at rabbit2',
'rabbit at rabbit3'], it will be a ram node.  If it clusters with
['rabbit at rabbit1', 'rabbit at rabbit2', 'rabbit at rabbit3'], it will be a
disc node.  In other respects, both clusters are identical.

Note that any manual configuration (via "rabbitmqctl cluster ...") will
take precedence over the config file.  You can remove the manual
configuration by resetting the node (at which point, rabbit will use the
settings in the config file).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Alex