[rabbitmq-discuss] What to do when high watermark reached?

François Beausoleil francois at teksol.info
Tue Sep 27 00:19:40 BST 2011

Hi!

According to the management console's overview tab, I've reached my memory high watermark. I have two queues with a combined total of 2.5M messages. My workers are up and running, but in both cases, the queue consumers read messages and may publish messages to another exchange.

I can restart my workers, in which case the messages are unack'd and put back in the queue, to be processed again.

Is there a way around this? What can I do to process those messages? Can I tweak something in the server while it's up? I don't want to reboot it because I've lost messages before, even though my messages are published using :persistent => true (Bunny).

Rereading http://www.rabbitmq.com/admin-guide.html#memsup, I notice that it says I should use multiple connections: one for producing, one for consuming. I'll have to change my apps to do that, but in the meantime?

Thanks for any pointers!
François