[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ, Gretty, and Channel question

Burt Prior burtprior at comcast.net
Fri Sep 23 20:02:39 BST 2011

Hi Peter!

Thanks for your reply.  I'm extremely excited about the possibilities
of RabbitMQ and Gretty for the architecture (EDA) and app i'm
building.

Here's what I did last night:  I created a bare-bones Grails app
(1.3.7/tomcat), installed the rabbit plugin, and coded simple a web
service interface in UrlMappings and a (rest) controller that sends a
text message every time the web service is invoked.  (later I'll pass
JSON as the message transport)

class ActivityRestController {

   def sendMessage = {
        rabbitSend 'hello', 'someMessage'
    }
}

GET /web-service-app/activity

As i mentioned, I want a simple web service endpoint that put (JSON)
messages on the queue.

Testing the above web service with:  'ab -n 10000 -c 100
http://localhost:8080/web-service/activity
This works great.  this puts 10,000 messages on the queue perfectly (a
bit slowly) every time.
I think works perfectly because a new thread is created by tomcat for
every request.
That's why I don't have to worry about channel thread safety.

This is NOT the case with Gretty, for reasons I don't understand.

Could I get your thoughts on this?

Thanks very much,
Burt Prior