[rabbitmq-discuss] Node reaches RAM High Watermark quickly

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Fri Sep 23 12:30:36 BST 2011

On 22/09/11 23:05, Chris Larsen wrote:
> I may have found the issue with some further debugging. I looked up stream
> to see the size of the incoming messages and while most were below 1MB,
> there were a few at 20MB all the way up to 60MB. Using the C library, I had
> added code that set the "frame_max" value to 10MB whenever my producers
> connected to a broker. But I wasn't checking on the producer side to see if
> my message was larger than that frame_max. I left the max at 10MB and added
> code to prevent sending messages over that size and the memory leaking
> stopped.
>
> So should messages always be smaller than the declared frame size or could
> there still be an issue if I bump the frame size up to 60MB? Thanks!

Hmm. You certainly should not need to do that; messages larger than
frame_max should just get split up (and having a very large frame_max
can be dodgy if you want to share many channels on one connection;
frames are what get interleaved on the connection).

I will bang on this a bit and see if I can reproduce.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware