[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ, SSL, .NET Client

jeremyalan jeremyalan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 18:14:02 BST 2011

> For a test I would instead suggest creating certificates in the way
> described here:
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/ssl.html

I've attempted to regenerate self-signed certificates, and have not had any
luck getting the .NET client to connect.  I tried loading the certs in .pem
format, but that didn't work, apparently because .NET does not work well
with PEM files, so I converted them to .cer format, using the following
command:

openssl x509 -in <filename>.pem -out <filename>.cer -outform DER

I also converted the key .pem to a .p12 file, using the following command:

openssl pkcs12 -export -out keycert.p12 -in cert.pem -inkey key.pem -passout
pass:MySecretPassword

> The common name (CN) field is expected to contain the hostname.

I'm not sure what the proper hostname should be, since everything is running
on localhost.  As mentioned in the tutorial, I am using the following .NET
client configuration to avoid any errors.

AcceptablePolicyErrors = SslPolicyErrors.RemoteCertificateNameMismatch

> It is possible that you are attempting to connect to the SSL port with a
> client that is not configured to use SSL. Could that be the case?
> Confirm the port numbers that are set up in your configuration file.

The port numbers are configured properly.  I can't say for sure, but it
appears that the record overflow is thrown when I attempt to serve a
certificate format that is not supported by the .NET client (e.g., PEM).

Thanks for your continued efforts.  Is there anything else I can try that
might provide more information, or hopefully come to a resolution?