[rabbitmq-discuss] latency in starting/stopping a rabbitmq node

Praveen M lefthandmagic at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 19:57:09 BST 2011

Hi Alex, thanks for your email. That helped a lot.

To answer your question about the hang in the "starting exchange, queue and
binding recovery.." step on creating 100,000 durable queues and restarting
the broker,

*Is it really hung?  Is it using the CPU or disk at all at this time?  Is
there anything in the logs (both the rabbit and SASL logs)?*
*
*
The SASL log doesn't have anything. But the rabbit log has something.

I have attached the .log file for your reference.

It says that it is rebuilding the index from scratch..and that mnesia is
overloaded with  write_threshold and then time_threshold.
I'm not very sure I understand what they really mean. :(

My /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.config file entry is as follows:

[ {mnesia, [{dump_log_write_threshold, 50000}, {dc_dump_limit, 40}]},
{rabbit, [{vm_memory_high_watermark, 0.34}]}].

Can you please tell me if these configs are ok, or am I missing something?

Also, I checked the IO and CPU...when I just start the broker after the
100,000 queues creation
both IO and CPU shoots up for the first minute, but then when everything
required is fetched to
memory there is no activity in IO. But CPU consistently stays up.