[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ using a ton of memory

justin.adam.miller at gmail.com justin.adam.miller at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 17:11:18 BST 2011

On Thursday, September 8, 2011 11:56:56 AM UTC-4, Matthew Sackman wrote:

> Ok. How many queues are there? They're mainly empty yes?

We have 12-18 queues (don't have an exact number). Most are simply bound to
the default exchange. A few others are bound to a fanout exchange. And yes,
they're almost always empty. Or at least vacillate a little, but almost
almost < 2000. And in the tests that I'm running, that's really only for 2
queues. The rest are mostly unused.

> Are you, by any chance, sending massive messages through Rabbit -
> messages that are many 100s of MB or bigger? - I firstly can't
> understand how a small/normal number of processes can be eating up 20GB,
> and secondly how you can get > 40GB of binaries, unless your messages
> are massive.

Nope. Messages are small. In the kilobyte range.

Justin