[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ using a ton of memory

justin.adam.miller at gmail.com justin.adam.miller at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 16:48:40 BST 2011

On Thursday, September 8, 2011 8:07:12 AM UTC-4, Matthew Sackman wrote:

> Rabbit shouldn't continue to chew up more and more memory so I suspect
> some sort of resource is being created and not destroyed. Could you
> check things like the number of queues, the number of connections and
> channels etc and that those numbers are not growing constantly?

Connections remain constant at 50. I only create about a dozen or so queues.
Channels do increase over time. They start at 386 and grow to 445 by the
time I hit the high memory mark. Despite the fact that that number does
grow, it doesn't SEEM unreasonable.

> 96GB is an awful lot of memory!

:-D

> Agreed. If you can provoke this to happen again, then when you reach
>
> that point could you run "rabbitmqctl report" and send us the output
> (maybe off list if you see anything sensitive in there and/or it's
> huge).

Unfortunately, I'm unable to send the output of that. But I did generate it.
Is there anything in particular I should be looking for? I looked through it
and I don't see anything that looks out of the ordinary, at least as far as
I'm concerned :)

It reports that rabbit is using about 70G of memory (which is where the high
watermark is set), I think around 20G are used by 'processes' and another
40G+ are used by 'binary' I think?

I never mentioned what versions I'm using:

RabbitMQ: 2.5.1
Erlang: R14B03
Spring AMQP: 1.0.0.RC2

I was previously using R13B03 (or 04) and that displayed the problem much
faster and additionally would crash RabbitMQ when I started hitting that
watermark -- probably because I had it set so high (0.75). Using R14B03, I
can survive much much longer and rabbit no longer crashes. It just sits
there blocking producers, waiting for consumers to consume, yet there's
nothing to consume!

Justin