[rabbitmq-discuss] Compatibility AMQP 0.9.1/1.0.0

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Sep 8 15:50:30 BST 2011

On 08/09/11 15:34, PADIOU Pierre-Marie (MORPHO) wrote:
> I heard version 1.0.0 of amqp was about to be defined (if not already).

Yes, it'll be finalised fairly soon.

> Do you guys plan to make rabbitmq compatible with this new version?

I don't personally view it as a new version, despite the name. It's
really a very different thing, and is much more focussed on
interoperability than 0-9-1 (i.e. 0-9-1 defines a broker model and gives
you quite a few guarantees; 1.0 only really tells you how to get
messages from point A to point B so it's easier to bolt on the side of
an existing broker). In some ways it's more like a super-STOMP than
prior versions of AMQP.

We have done some work on 1.0 support but I don't expect it'll be ready
for prime time for quite a while.

> If so, will you maintain backward compatibility? If so, for how long?

Matthias hates it when I make forward-looking statements. But I find it
very hard to imagine us removing support for 0-9-1 any time soon - loads
of people use it, it gives you things 1.0 doesn't, and migrating is
non-trivial.

For perspective, we also don't have any plans to remove 0-8 support.
Lots of people still use *that* even though it's very similar to 0-9-1.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware