[rabbitmq-discuss] Clustering and scaling

Eugene Kirpichov ekirpichov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 19:04:59 BST 2011

Hi Stuart,

I haven't fully understood whether you want scaling for redundancy or
scaling for load balancing.
In the first case I don't see why you're interested in the number of consumers.
In the second case I don't see why you're interested in replication.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Stuart Munro <stuart at state.it> wrote:
> Hi,
> I was wondering someone could give me a few pointers about using RabbitMQ in
> cluster mode.
> So far we have 2 RabbitMQ's in cluster mode (rb-1 and rb-2), rb-2 is in RAM
> mode.
> How do other people setup redundancy in terms of queue consumers hitting the
> cluster?
> So, for example could I have a load balancer sitting in front of the 2 rb's
> and in a round-robin approach on the load balancer distribute load between
> them – this raises the question – how quick is the replication between the
> nodes?
> Alternatively, do I setup a failover implementation using something like
> HAProxy? But this raises the question how to I scale horizontally?
> Thank you very much for your time, much appreciated.
> Stuart

Eugene Kirpichov
Principal Engineer, Mirantis Inc. http://www.mirantis.com/
Editor, http://fprog.ru/