[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ 2.6.0 is released

Michael Bridgen mikeb at rabbitmq.com
Thu Sep 1 00:52:18 BST 2011

>> The problem there is where do you stop? You're programming into your
>> group definition the fact that you know that these nodes are in
>> different racks, behind different switches, on different machines,
>> possibly on different UPSs. One problem is that Rabbit knows none of
>> this.

[and]

> In my opinion you stop at leaving it to the user define the
> availability "separation" groups/areas.

Surely the point is that RabbitMQ must be told about the appropriate
mirroring, yet it's very unlikely to be the person writing an
application that knows it (and especially not in terms of the Erlang
node names!), so putting it in the queue.declare method is rather erm,
hopeful. It really should be part of the operational interface, not the
application interface.

-Michael