[rabbitmq-discuss] New to RabbitMq questions

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Oct 31 11:42:50 GMT 2011

On 28/10/11 20:45, Chris Chiappone wrote:
> I am trying to decide if rabbitmq is something that would fit well in
> our architecture. I have a question on what is the best way to
> approach/design should be used if I wanted to be able to consume
> messages from multiple clients.
>
> My use case is basically:
>
> Unlimited number of clients that can publish and subscribe to messages
> to their own queues or exchanges.
>
> An admin client that can subscribe or publish on to any queue or exchange.
> The admin client would always be connected. I realize that a client can
> have access to any queue or exchange but I want to be able to
> dynamically bind to new exchanges/queues as they are added by other
> users so I can receive all messages.
>
> Is there a good way to do this?

The problem with having your admin user subscribe to everything in the
general case is how it should know that a new exchange has appeared.
There are some solutions to this but then you have a race between the
exchange being declared and the admin user binding to it.

Of course, depending on your topology this may not be a problem - there
may be a fixed set of exchanges for example.

If this *is* a problem then maybe the firehose could be what you're
looking for:

http://www.rabbitmq.com/firehose.html

although your admin app would have to unpack the messages it produces
slightly.

Cheers, Simon
--
Simon MacMullen