[rabbitmq-discuss] Queue Clustering and Sequencing

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Thu Oct 27 08:39:05 BST 2011

Roger,

On 25/10/11 18:32, RogerF wrote:
> Essentially what we want is key-based load balancing with
> time-limited affinity.

have you tried the obvious approach suggested in your first post, i.e.
have one queue per consumer and ensure that messages for the same key
always end up in the same queue?

You mentioned that you were concerned about...

> Non-related messages are unnecessarily sequenced. When the key
> distribution is not exactly even, one queue may have a backup while
> another is idle.

...but is that really an issue in practice?

Also...

> Complex to configure for differently sized systems.

Take a look at https://github.com/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-consistent-hash-exchange

Regards,

Matthias.