[rabbitmq-discuss] sslv3 alert handshake failure for TLS Web Server certificates

Alexandru Scvorţov alexandru at rabbitmq.com
Tue Oct 25 00:36:32 BST 2011

Hi Nate,

> A certificate with X509v3 Extended Key Usage of "TLS Web Client
> Authentication" will connect to our rabbitmq-2.4.1 server, but a
> certificate with "TLS Web Server Authentication" will not.

The broker does not and, to the extent of my knowledge, never did
inspect those fields in the certificate.  It normally relies on the
Erlang's interpretation of a valid certificate (configured via the
verify and fail_if_no_peer_cert options in rabbitmq.config).

So, are you using the same version of Erlang in both tests?  What's the
error in the 2.4.1 broker's log for the failed connection attempt?

> Is there a configuration option to accept  "TLS Web Server
> Authentication" certificates in rabbitmq-2.4.1?

As previously mentioned, RabbitMQ doesn't care about those fields.
AFAIK, Erlang doesn't either, so something else may be happening.

Cheers,
Alex