[rabbitmq-discuss] Limiting the number of non-ack messages cause of subsystem

jhiemer jvhiemer at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 22 22:08:40 BST 2011

Hi,
I am currently facing the following situation:
My setup has a Topic Exchange, wherein all messages are stored. The
problem is: the messages consumed are limited by the backend-system.
The backend-system is only able to process 10 message at the same
time. Each of this messages is bound to a separate thread and I need
to wait for its execution until a "slot" is free again. The execution
time may vary between 10 seconds and 10 minutes. Is it reasonable to
send ACKs just after this amount of time, for acceptance of new
messages?

I am using Spring and RabbitMQ. But up to know, it would be enough for
me to know, how to solve that solely with RabbitMQ. Any ideas and
suggestions? (I am using the Java Client Library)

Thanks!