[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Completely Unusable

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Mon Oct 10 15:48:22 BST 2011

Hi Paul,

On 09/10/11 19:28, SixDegrees wrote:

> I had Celery/RabbitMQ running perfectly on Friday. After a reboot, none of
> the rabbitmqctl commands work; they all return the message:
>
> Status of node rabbit at basalt ...
> Error: unable to connect to node rabbit at basalt: nodedown
> diagnostics:
> - nodes and their ports on basalt: [{rabbitmqctl4119,39973}]
> - current node: rabbitmqctl4119 at basalt
> - current node home dir: /var/lib/rabbitmq
> - current node cookie hash: 21qdNRGvqYUEWK3+aXB7wA==

Are you sure the broker is running at the time when you execute
rabbitmqctl? Are there any entries in the broker logfile at the same
time as these messages get logged?

The broker startup banner contains the cookie hash. Is this the same as
the one reported by rabbitmqctl?

> The port and nodename suffix are different each time, and the cookie hash
> does not correspond to the one in /var/lib/rabbitmq/.erlang.cookie, nor can
> I find any other instance of the cookie file on the machine. Hostname
> 'basalt' is listed in /etc/hosts under '127.0.0.1  basalt'; this has not
> been changed since Friday.
>
> I have tried starting rabbitmq-server at runtime as a service; and at the
> command line with no arguments and with the '-detached' argument, all with
> similar results.
>
> What do I have to do to recover my previously working system? Failing that,
> what do I have to delete to get RabbitMQ back to a working, uninitialized
> state?

If you move or remove the contents of the mnesia directory then rabbit
will startup in a default state.

-Emile