[rabbitmq-discuss] Problem setting up a RabbitMQ cluster

Alex Grönholm alex.gronholm at nextday.fi
Sat Oct 1 13:57:26 BST 2011

I'm trying to set up a cluster between two nodes in a LAN, and I'm not
getting anywhere.

On node 1 (lenovo) I have a rabbitmq 2.6.1 instance running:
$ sudo rabbitmqctl cluster_status
Cluster status of node rabbit at lenovo ...
[{nodes,[{disc,[rabbit at lenovo]}]},{running_nodes,[rabbit at lenovo]}]
...done.

One node 2 (posti) I have a stopped rabbitmq 2.6.1 instance:
$ sudo rabbitmqctl cluster_status
Cluster status of node rabbit at posti ...
[{nodes,[{unknown,[rabbit at posti]}]},{running_nodes,[]}]
...done.

Then I attempt to join node 2 to node 1:
$ sudo rabbitmqctl cluster rabbit at lenovo
Clustering node rabbit at posti with [rabbit at lenovo] ...
Error: {no_running_cluster_nodes,[rabbit at lenovo],[rabbit at lenovo]}

What am I doing wrong? The instructions on the official site weren't that
complicated.
Attempting the automatic cluster configuration proved equally fruitless.