[rabbitmq-discuss] Website change suggestions

gmazza glen.mazza at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 11:46:41 GMT 2011

Hello, I just started to look at RabbitMQ and ran into some newbie
hiccups slowing me down.  A few website changes could makes things
easier:

1.) On the contact page (http://www.rabbitmq.com/contact.html), this
is where people will go to try to find the bugtracker.  As you
presently keep your bugtracker internal and instead use the discuss
list for people to mention bugs, it would be good to include a
sentence to that effect on this page, so people aren't spending time
searching for an external bugtracker that doesn't exist.

2.) I'm running Ubuntu so my first RabbitMQ download choice was to
install the .deb package: http://www.rabbitmq.com/install-debian.html
-- I was concerned however that this daemon is always running by
default when I start my machine (and not when I explicitly choose to
start it).  It would be good to mention in the "Run RabbitMQ Server/
Start the Server" section that we can use sysv-rc-conf to have the
rabbitmq server disabled by default, and that we can reactivate it
using this same program prior to running "sudo invoke-rc.d rabbitmq-
server start".  (Maybe you know of a cleaner way you can describe
instead.)  Alternatively, refer people to the generic Unix download if
they don't want an always-running daemon.

3.) Looking for a rabbitmq server that I could manually start and stop
(before I figured out the above), I then tried the Generic Unix
section: http://www.rabbitmq.com/install-generic-unix.html.  In the
section "Start the Server", good to remind users that they will need
to run the rabbitmq server as a superuser (i.e., "sudo sbin/rabbitmq-
server" for Ubuntu).

Not doing so raised errors for me such as this:

gmazza at gmazza-work:~/dataExt3/myapps/rabbitmq_server-2.7.0$ sbin/
rabbitmq-server
Activating RabbitMQ plugins ...
ERROR: Could not delete dir /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at gmazza-
work-plugins-expand ({cannot_delete,
       "/var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at gmazza-work-plugins-expand/
rabbit.rel",
       eacces})

(Alternatively, should they be manually creating the "rabbitmq" user
and running under that account?  If so, then inform the user of that.)

Thanks,
Glen