[rabbitmq-discuss] EventingBasicConsumer is still experimentals? (.NET client)

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Sun Nov 20 21:58:36 GMT 2011

Jason,

On 20/11/11 21:34, Jason J. W. Williams wrote:
>> One can pass the same consumer instance to multiple BasicConsume
>> calls. Then the messages end up in just a single client-side
>> queue.
> Right, but then messages from both RMQ queues get lumped into the
> same client-side queue and processed the same by the consumer.

They can be disambiguated by the consumer code, though...

>   EventingBasicConsumer provides the callback-based interface I was
> looking for that provides a clear and easy to read mechanism for
> subscribing different processing functions to different queues in a
> single-thread.

Fair enough. We released EventingBasicConsumer in the hope that somebody
might find it useful.

>> Alas the risk of consumer code blocking the connection thread
>> remains.
> That's true of any callback-based code (as are most of the other
> language AMQP clients), and it's not that hard to design for.

It catches out a surprising number of users.

On that note, in
https://github.com/rabbitinaction/sourcecode/blob/master/csharp/appendix-a/AlertingServerConsumer/alerting_server_consumer.cs
the System.Net.Mail.Send is blocking, according to MSDN.

Regards,

Matthias.