[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ 2.7.0 is released

Stefan Kaes Stefan.Kaes at xing.com
Sat Nov 19 05:52:01 GMT 2011

Hi,

it appears that the FAQ page describing the new reject semantics has
disappeared.

Here's my current understanding:

Let's say we have a message queue containing messages <m2, m1>, where m1
will be delivered next.

Let's further assume we have a prefetch count of 1 on our single consumer,
which is subscribed to the queue.

Then, if the consumer rejects the message, it will be resend to the consumer
before m2 is sent, right?

In other words: from a consumer perspective, "reject(requeue=true)" behaves
exactly like "recover" in the scenario above.

Correct?

Am 09.11.11 16:26 schrieb "Emile Joubert" unter <emile at rabbitmq.com>:

> Hi Marek,
>
> On 09/11/11 15:08, Cermak, Marek wrote:
>> good job, thanks.
>> is there any document how does the order preservation work? Does it work
>> even for more consumers from one queue? in what way?
>
> The FAQ contains an entry that describes the new ordering guarantees for
> a queue with one consumer:
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/faq.html#message-ordering
>
> The same guarantees do not hold in the presence of multiple consumers.
> From the perspective of the queue, messages will always be in the order
> in which they entered the queue. If a queue has multiple consumers then
> they may see messages out of order, due to the actions of other
> consumers, even if the messages in the queue are always in the correct
> order.
>

> - Emile

Dr. Stefan Kaes
Principal System Architect

XING AG
Gaensemarkt 43, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Tel. +49 40 419131-801, Fax +49 40 419131-11

Commercial Reg. (Registergericht): Amtsgericht Hamburg, HRB 98807
Exec. Board (Vorstand): Dr. Stefan Groß-Selbeck (Vorsitzender), Ingo Chu,
Dr. Helmut Becker, Jens Pape;
Chairman of the Supervisory Board (Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender): Dr. Neil
Sunderland

Please join my network on XING: http://www.xing.com/go/invite/Stefan.Kaes

This email may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you
are not the intended recipient (or have received this email in error) please
notify the sender immediately and destroy this email. Any unauthorized
copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this email is
strictly forbidden and may be unlawful.