[rabbitmq-discuss] Ubuntu 11.10 does not shutdown

Sampo Savolainen sampo.savolainen at spatineo.com
Wed Nov 16 12:34:57 GMT 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Simon MacMullen <simon at rabbitmq.com> wrote:

> On 16/11/11 10:57, Simon MacMullen wrote:
>
>> On 16/11/11 08:59, Sampo Savolainen wrote:
>>
>>> I've installed RabbitMQ server on an Ubuntu 11.10 (desktop) box from the
>>> .deb's provided on rabbitmq's website. After installing the server, the
>>> box is unable to shut down. Powering off just results in logging off the
>>> current session (and probably turning off some of the OS services in the
>>> process). The only way "real" way to power off the computer is to do:
>>> "sudo /sbin/poweroff now"
>>>

>> Hi, thanks for the bug report. I'll try setting up a VM to replicate this.
>>

> ...and of course I cannot replicate this.

Oh crap. Did you set up an Ubuntu server or desktop image?

My setup is a laptop with a desktop image installed. The issue comes up (at
least) when using wifi networking.

> So one theme from the bug report is that NetworkManager is making changes
> to /etc/hosts that are confusing Rabbit. So to help figure out if this is
> the problem, can you tell me:
>
> * What does "ping ${hostname}" look like when networking is up?
> * What does "ping ${hostname}" look like when networking is down?

By networking is up / down, do you mean when NetworkManager is running or
not? Did you mean "any host" by ${hostname}? Or did you mean the hostname
of my box?

Theses are with NetworkManager running, first with networking and the
second after removing the ethernet cable:

$ ping www.google.com
PING www.l.google.com (173.194.32.18) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from arn06s01-in-f18.1e100.net (173.194.32.18): icmp_req=1 ttl=55
time=8.32 ms
64 bytes from arn06s01-in-f18.1e100.net (173.194.32.18): icmp_req=2 ttl=55
time=8.64 ms

vs

$ ping www.google.com
ping: unknown host www.google.com