[rabbitmq-discuss] maximum number of amqp connections to a rabbitmq broker

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Mon May 30 15:14:59 BST 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 06:19:47PM +0530, Dhinesh Kumar wrote:
> I am trying to find the maximum number of amqp connections i can establish
> with a RabbitMQ broker running on Ubuntu.
> I tried both Java and erlang client to create connections but i could not
> succeed more than 829 connections.
>
> I like to know how can i increase the number ??

You're likely hitting the ulimit. Edit /etc/security/limits.conf and
allow the rabbitmq user to have a much higher "nofile" setting. Rabbit
will log on start up how many sockets it's permitting, so once the
change has taken effect and you've restarted rabbit, you should find log
entries to demonstrate it's working.

Matthew