[rabbitmq-discuss] behavior when erlang processes exhausted

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Wed May 25 22:06:50 BST 2011

Hi Aaron,

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 03:31:31PM -0400, Aaron Westendorf wrote:
> What is the expected behavior of Rabbit when Erlang runs out of
> processes? We had an event over the past weekend that went something
> like this:
>
>   =ERROR REPORT==== 22-May-2011::17:35:58 ===
>   Too many processes

Ahh well. That's a problem. Basically, we don't try to deal nicely with
this situation, and just let the universe slowly approach its event
horizon. So, really, the only advice I can give is to adjust the P value
so as to have a good level of confidence that you're not going to run
out of processes. The max value is, I think, about 4 billion, so you
have some wiggle room.

Matthew