[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq crash?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue May 24 09:15:54 BST 2011

yaohui wrote:
> Another question : if a producer sends plenty of messages constantly
>  over the memory throttling, rabbitmq broker will block producer
> sending message, where these messages is?

Yes.

> stay in the memory of producer? in this case, i think the producer
> would crash out of memory.

That very much depends on how the application is written and what client
library is being used. For example, in our Java and .net client the
thread invoking basicPublish will get blocked, so the producer could
only run out of memory if there are other threads allocating memory.

Ultimately though if you have a source consistently producing messages
at a higher rate than rabbit can handle (by passing them to consumers or
paging them to disk) then eventually the app will either have to
throttle the source, throw away messages, or it will run out of memory.

Regards,

Matthias.