[rabbitmq-discuss] Stress testing RabbitMQ

Alvaro Videla videlalvaro at gmail.com
Sat May 14 13:51:54 BST 2011

Hi Matthew,

Here's my naîve implementation of the exchange:

	https://github.com/videlalvaro/rabbitmq-alternate-fanout

The binding storage seems to be suboptimal. I think the main difference with the default fanout is how it retrieves the list of matches for the *route* call.

Then this repo has the code for the benchmarks. I've just updated it, with the instructions I used on my machine:

	https://github.com/videlalvaro/massive_fanout

To get the memory *explosion* thing happening, I had to set up the memory_high_watermark to 0.1 for my 4gb Mac. In the real world nobody will do that I guess.

I tried with 5000 queues. To do that perform this call:

	alternate_fanout:start(5000).

The README of the massive_fanout repo explain the usage.

As a side note, from my point of view my benchmarks are not scientific at all, I would compare them with those useless "hello world" benchmarks for web frameworks. So as RabbitMQ user I wouldn't be concerned about the results. It was interesting for me to run them and I think I learned quite a bit of RabbitMQ internals.

-Alvaro