[rabbitmq-discuss] Erlang Client Changes Since 2.2.0?

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Fri May 13 13:02:41 BST 2011

Hi Chris,

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 06:06:33PM +0000, Chris Chew wrote:
> I'm getting ready to freshen my instance of the erlang client as part
> of an upcoming release of our message bus.  Is there a concise list of
> changes and/or upgrade steps for the erlang client from 2.2.0 to
> 2.4.1?

Erm, no. And you'll be delighted to hear that some more API changes are
in the pipeline too...

> You do a great job with this with the java and .net clients, but I
> don't see the analog for the erlang client.  There are a bunch of
> commits in the hg repo since that time of 2.2.0, but I'd love to be
> able to just skim past them...

Yeah, the problem is that the Erlang client "is not yet a supported
client". It's very close to being there though: beyond the upcoming
changes there's not much more that's in store for it and so it should
enter a more stable period a la the Java and .Net clients.

> If there is no such summary, is there anything I should know up-front
> about the changes?

I can't remember the state of things in 2.2.0!

Things like amqp_connection:start and :open_channel now return {ok,
Thing} rather than just Thing. The main changes have been dealing with
errors in a consistent and predictable way. Without working through all
the bugs myself, I'm not really able to produce a summary. Possibly one
sane way of finding out what's changed is to look at the merges to
default of something like the shovel, which is really just a program
using the erlang client and is also entirely in maintanance mode. Thus
changes that have affected the shovel are also likely to affect you.

Best wishes,

Matthew