[rabbitmq-discuss] Pathological dead queue behavior in a cluster.

Jason J. W. Williams jasonjwwilliams at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 22:40:00 BST 2011

> Once the queue comes back up, provided the exchange to which it was
> bound was _also_ durable, the bindings will be recreated. At that point
> new msgs published to the queue should appear in the queue.
>
> As for msgs that were previously sent to the queue before the node died,
> a) they could have been consumed and ack'd by the consumer
> b) they might not have been published persistent
> c) they might have not been sync'd to disk so didn't get recovered

That's not what's happening. Previous messages aren't the issue...I expect
those to be blackholed. Once the node is back up, the queue and the bindings
show:

Phantome:rabbitmq-server  $ sudo /opt/rabbitmq-server/sbin/rabbitmqctl -n
rabbit_1 at Phantome list_queues
Listing queues ...
cluster_test 0
...done.
Phantome:rabbitmq-server  $ sudo /opt/rabbitmq-server/sbin/rabbitmqctl -n
rabbit_1 at Phantome list_bindings
Listing bindings ...
exchange cluster_test queue cluster_test []
...done.

If you publish at this point into the exchange, assuming the binding has
been restored as indicated, the queue shows still empty:

Phantome:rabbitmq-server  $ sudo /opt/rabbitmq-server/sbin/rabbitmqctl -n
rabbit_1 at Phantome list_queues
Listing queues ...
cluster_test 0
...done.

The queue doesn't start to fill with publishes until you redeclare the
binding.

-J