[rabbitmq-discuss] Virtual Hosts in the HTTP Auth Plugin

Max Bridgewater max.bridgewater at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 02:04:27 BST 2011

Hi Simon,

I got the HTTP auth plugin working now.  I feel, however, that there
is a bit of inconsistency in the way it works. To authenticate a user
X with password Y in virtual host Z, it requires that Z be created
using rabbitmqctl while it does not require the same for the user. The
user is indeed authenticated against the HTTP server but only if the
embedded authentication mechanism knows of the virtual host. I was
under the impression that vhosts are only used for message scoping and
access control and therefore, their management could also be
delegated.

Your thought?

At the bare minimum, maybe it would be worth mentioning to the plugin
users that vhosts would need to be created in the traditional way.
Cheers,
Max.