[rabbitmq-discuss] Clustering Internals

Jason J. W. Williams jasonjwwilliams at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 22:21:42 GMT 2011

Hi Guys,

I had a couple of questions regarding the clustering internals. Was
wondering if someone could clear up a couple of questions I have?

1.) When a node dies, it used to be that the queue was auto-recreated on
another node and if the downed node rejoined it's queue contents went poof.
The old contents died but at least you were assured new messages didn't get
blackholed. Now it looks like the entire queue goes poof...bindings and all.
It's not recreated until a consumer redeclares and binds it.

2.) Exchanges to my understanding are differing in that they are fully
replicated through the cluster. But does this extend to messages in-flight
in the exchange? If a node dies, do the messages in-flight go poof or do
other nodes pass them on since the exchange is replicated?

Thank you in advance for your help.

-J