[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ client running behind a firewall

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Mar 14 18:18:56 GMT 2011

On 13/03/11 22:11, Benjamin Renaud wrote:
> Our RabbitMQ server runs in the cloud, and our customers' client will
> often be running behind a firewall. Requiring them to open up 5672 is
> not going to be a great option. Is there an HTTP tunneling facility we
> can use,

Hmm. AMQP won't trivially tunnel on HTTP since we need asynchronous
communication both ways. The rabbitmq-jsonrpc-channel plugin attempts to
square this circle somewhat, with a certain amount of polling involved.
It was originally designed to take messaging to the browser but we've
had reports of people using generic clients with it.

http://www.rabbitmq.com/plugins.html#rabbitmq-jsonrpc-channel

We're also looking to expand our HTTP story, there are a bunch of
projects in progress which hopefully will bear fruit soon.

 > or some kind of a relay server?

Hmm, I'm not sure what this would even look like. There's a simplistic
AMQP proxy in the Java client (designed for debugging) but I'm guessing
you're not looking for AMQP-AMQP relaying?

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
Staff Engineer, RabbitMQ