[rabbitmq-discuss] Thrift vs. Protocol Buffers as serialization formats

Abhishek Kona abhishek.kona at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 03:43:45 GMT 2011

Hi

We use Thrift as a thin layer infront of RabbitMQ to provide Amazon SQS
(acknowledge without keeping a channel open).  like semantics for our
queue system.
It has been working like a charm for us.
We primarily use in Java and PHP.
Serialization has never been observed as a major bottleneck in our
application.
So any of PB or Thrift should be good for you. (We use Thrift for its
good RPC capabilities).

The people at https://github.com/eishay/jvm-serializers/wiki/ have
profiled lot of available data serialization methods, you can have a look.

-Abhishek Kona