[rabbitmq-discuss] is anybody using tx?

Aaron Westendorf aaron at agoragames.com
Thu Jun 30 15:26:02 BST 2011

I've only read part of the thread, but we are making use of
transactions for all of our publishing. We haven't switched to
'confirms' because it's a feature were weren't aware of and it would
need to be thoroughly integrated into our stack.

For us, transactions allow both high throughput and message delivery
reliability. Before transactions, we'd be pushing messages through a
channel and if there was an error, the channel would be closed with
some number of messages lost on that channel. Worse, "frames in
flight" would cause RabbitMQ to close the connection entirely because
it would receive frames on a channel after closing it.

To ensure throughput, we used a pooling scheme that's now abstracted
into haigha's ChannelPool.

We're not overly concerned about compliance with strict adherence to
the AMQP spec as we intend to use RabbitMQ for a long time to come,
but it is beneficial for us to stay within spec to ensure that both
the broker and client are coded to a similar standard.

-Aaron