[rabbitmq-discuss] is anybody using tx?

Michael Klishin michael.s.klishin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 18:26:44 BST 2011

2011/6/28 Matthias Radestock <matthias at rabbitmq.com>

> Surely there must be more than four people using tx though. Don't be shy!
> Speak up!

Matthias,

I have been using RabbitMQ since Jan 2009 or so and still do not use
transactions, however, I have one use case that is much easier to
implement with transactions.

Imagine a fairly large (a few terabytes) collection of documents that are
clustered. Clustering can happen around different attributes, lets use date
as example.
Application that does clustering is an AMQP consumer. Because of the nature
of clustering by date, it needs to process N documents at once
(so again, batching), and only then acknowledge RabbitMQ and possibly other
apps.

Prefetching plus message acknowledgements kinda let me build something like
this, however, it will require some extra care on app developer's side.
Note that if consumer app would use RDBMS, there is always a possibility of
doing a rollback there and at least not having inconsistent/incorrect (w.r.t
clustering) data,
but graph databases today typically do not offer transactions and RDBMSes
aren't very good at graph walking.

I hope this counts as useful feedback.
--
MK