[rabbitmq-discuss] Ruby AMQP gem 0.8.0.rc13 is released

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Sat Jun 4 19:26:34 BST 2011

Michael,

it's great to see development of the amqp gem proceeding apace. There
was one thing that caught my eye in the list of changes...

On 04/06/11 19:11, Michael Klishin wrote:
>   * When declaring a server-named queue, AMQP::Queue will now better
> check that
>     arguments actually make sense (for example, :nowait doesn't make sense
>     because we need to receive generated name from the broker).

In protocol terms it actually *can* make sense to declare a server-named
queue with 'nowait'. That's because AMQP has a little known feature:
blank queue name in commands are substituted with the name of the most
recently declared queue. Hence it is possible to, say, declare a
server-named queue with 'nowait' and then bind it and consume from it.

Regards,

Matthias.