[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ crash in production - help diagnose from log

Bryan Alves bryanalves at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 18:30:06 BST 2011

Sorry for taking so long to get back, my answers inline

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Matthias Radestock <matthias at rabbitmq.com>wrote:

> Bryan,
>
> On 02/07/11 13:13, Matthias Radestock wrote:
>
>> It looks like the crash might be triggered by a rare race
>> condition. [...] Nothing obvious jumps out at me from the
>> code, so this may take a while to track down.
>>

> As feared, a few hours of poking the code hasn't thrown up any dirt.
>
> Do you still have the rabbit.log file from around the time of the crash? If
> so, please send it to us.

Sorry I don't have this anymore.

> Also, it would be useful to get some more details on how you are using
> rabbit...
>
> How many queues are there? How much queue churn is there (i.e. queues being
> created and deleted)?

There's about 3 durable queues.  0 churn

> Do published messages only ever get routed to a single queue or can they
> get routed to multiple queues?

Messages very often (>90%, estimate) get routed to multiple queues

> How big are the messages?

< 1k bytes

> How long (#messages) are the queues, and how does that figure change over
> time?

Consumers almost always keep up with load, so the queue size is usually 0,
occasionally there will be spikes if we manually dump a lot of messages into
the queue.  Spikes in this sense is a few thousand messages, up to maybe
50,000 messages.  Queues will gradually make their way back to 0 after a few
minutes after these instances.

--
Bryan Alves
Software Engineer