[rabbitmq-discuss] Patching rabbitmq to get more information about framing exceptions

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Wed Jul 20 23:33:48 BST 2011

Michael,

On 20/07/11 23:09, Michael Klishin wrote:
> 2011/7/21 Matthias Radestock <matthias at rabbitmq.com
> <mailto:matthias at rabbitmq.com>>
>
>     That means the server got a content header or body frame, which in
>     case of client->server communication can only be as part of a
>     publish. The most likely cause is the client sending more content
>     body frames than it should, e.g. a trailing empty frame.
>
>     It should be possible to spot that from the tracer / wireshark.
>

> Yes, it is purely a publishing issue and the idea of extra frames has
> crossed my mind. Wireshark doesn't prove it though.

Wireshark should have all the information you need. It probably won't
call this issue out as an error though. Ditto for the tracer.

> I still need to find a way to patch my local rabbit copy to get more
> information. What's a good way to keep a few recent frames around?

Given that you can reproduce the problem easily, you may just want to
log some details of all the frames - frame type, class id, method id,
and for content headers the expected body size, and for content bodies
the payload size.

> Is it possible to implement as a plugin?

No. Well, technically yes, but you are much better off just modifying
the code in rabbit_command_assembler.

Regards,

Matthias.