[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ won't start on RHEL 6.1

Dana Rea danarea at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 15:59:33 BST 2011

As in most cases I'm sure, this issue was caused by a misunderstanding
on my part. RHEL provides an amqp server called Qpid which was already
running. Since I thought that epmd was running on 5672, I missed the
listing for ampq/Qpid in netstat (not a fan of symbolic ports in the
output now).

Stopping the Qpid service corrects the problem.

# service qpidd stop & chkconfig --del qpidd

May be useful provide a brief note about this in the install document
for RHEL.