[rabbitmq-discuss] Problem installing RabbitMQ Server 2.5.1

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Thu Jul 7 19:19:04 BST 2011

Matt,

On 07/07/11 19:08, Matt wrote:
> I am trying to get a working version of RabbitMQ up and running on my
> Mac OSX with the generic Unix version.

Would using homebrew or macports be an option?

> However, I get the following error when I try to start up the server:
>
> Archon:rabbitmq_server-2.5.0 matthew$ sbin/rabbitmq-server
> Activating RabbitMQ plugins ...
> ERROR: Could not create dir /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at Archon-
> plugins-expand (enoent)
>
> I have the most recent version of Erlang installed on my machine. I
> think this may be some sort of read/write permissions problem, but I
> don't quite know how to fix it. Please help!

 From http://www.rabbitmq.com/install.html#generic-unix
<quote>
If the directories RABBITMQ_MNESIA_BASE and RABBITMQ_LOG_BASE do not
exist the server will attempt to create them. The server needs write
permission at the configured locations.
</quote>

So just point those env vars to some writeable location.

Regards,

Matthias.