[rabbitmq-discuss] Experimental RabbitMQ Topology Visualiser

Gavin M. Roy gmr at myyearbook.com
Sun Jul 3 01:03:18 BST 2011

On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Matthew Sackman <matthew at rabbitmq.com>wrote:

> So, 31 unique IP downloads within 24 hours - I guess people like the
> idea of being able to see what the topologies are within their brokers.

Love it, looks good, will love to see how it develops.

> My plans are generally along the following lines:
>
> 0. allow the selection of different vhosts.
>
> 1. hovering over a queue or channel should link the queue to its
> consuming channels, and vice versa.
>
> 2. hovering over any item should produce a tool-tip-style box with all
> the other essential stats and details about the item. So for exchanges,
> type, arguments; for queues, durable, auto-delete, exclusive, plus the
> other stats about the nature of their content; channels, similarly, the
> usual suspects.
>
> 3. optionally display connections above channels. This is only really
> useful if you have multiple channels per connection.
>
> 4. the entries in the "disabled" select boxes on the left should be
> alphabetically sorted.
>
> 5. channels should be grouped by connection.
>
> 6. it seems wrong to me somehow that disabling an entire class (say,
> queues) does not add the queues that were being displayed to the select
> box. It does suggest that those items have just vanished.
>
> 7. The bindings, and other links that may be being displayed should be
> coloured by their relative activity. Much information about the health
> of the system can be conveyed very quickly this way.
>
> Any requests? I liked Alvaro's idea of being able to construct things
> through this, but it'll take me quite some time to get that far.

Perhaps using the management plugin velocity rates you could use thicker
lines or annotate lines with message velocities?

Also visualization of cluster mechanics would be cool, though I'm not quite
sure how one would represent it yet other than having it as part of the
tooltips for the queues and connections.

Also I think it would be interesting instead of showing hovering over the
queue to see the channels to instead represent the consumer tag as an object
and link the channel to the consumer tag and the queue to the consumer tag.
It could get quite big but to show the topology of:

connection -> channel -> consumer_tag <- queue <- exchange

Would be interesting. It's too bad there's not as exact of a topology for
publishers, with regard to visualization like this.

Great work and cool idea,

Gavin

Looking forward to see how this develops.