[rabbitmq-discuss] SASL configuration example?

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Sun Jan 30 11:07:42 GMT 2011

On 30/01/2011 10:59AM, Eric Smith wrote:
> Thanks, Simon. I understand there's not much to configure with PLAIN,
> but when I do try to authenticate I get an "access_refused" error in
> rabbit.log, and nothing written to rabbit-sasl.log. So I'm not really
> sure where to look next. Running without any authentication works okay.

rabbit-sasl.log has nothing to do with SASL. No, really.

At least, not *that* SASL. It's for Erlang's "System Application Support
Libraries": http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/sasl/index.html

Yes, the naming is very unfortunate.

You can't run AMQP without any authentication - it's just that
everything defaults to guest/guest, and that user exists by default. All
you should need to do is:

1) Create another user with rabbitmqctl add_user
2) Grant that user permissions to the vhost it'll access with
rabbitmqctl set_permissions
3) Configure your client to use the new user

> I'm running an older version of Fedora (F8) with rabbmq-server 1.7.0, so
> it wouldn't surprise me if the problem is related to the old rabbitmq.
> I'm using Python and pika, if that makes any difference.

That should still work. Of course, you should upgrade anyway :)

Cheers, Simon